Question # 329: Assalam alaekum warmotulah wabarakatuh pls i named my newly born daughter mubasheerah, what’s the fatwa on this with authentic quotes. Jazakumlah khairan
Bismi-llahi r-raḥmani r-raḥīm,
Assalamu ‘laikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh,
All praise and thanks are due to Allah (سبحانه و تعالى), and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger (صلى الله عليه و سلم).
First of all, we implore Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) to help us serve His cause and render our work for His sake.
Shorter Answer: The name “Mubashsheer’ (مُبَشِّر) means ” bearer or deliverer of good tidings” or “harbingers of good news” (active participle from bashshara, to announce or propagate glad tidings). Allah (swt) mentions the grammatical variant of this word in the Qur’an in ten different verses of the Qur’an. The name “Mubashsheerah” (مُبَشِّرة) is the feminine form of the name “Mubashsheer’ (مُبَشِّر).
Long Answer: The name “Mubashsheer’ (مُبَشِّر) means ” bearer or deliverer of good tidings” or “harbingers of good news” (active participle from bashshara, to announce or propagate glad tidings; bashshara is verb form II of bashara/bashira, which means to rejoice, be happy) (‘A Word for Word Meaning of The Qur’an’ by Muhammad Mohar Ali). The name “Mubashsheerah” (مُبَشِّرة) is the feminine form of the name “Mubashsheer’ (مُبَشِّر). Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) mentions the grammatical variant of this word in the Qur’an in the following ten verses:
- Soorah al-Baqarah, 2:213; Masculine (plural): “Kana alnnasu ommatan wahidatan fabaAAatha Allahu alnnabiyyeena mubashshirina wamunthireena waanzala maAAahumu alkitaba bialhaqqi liyahkuma bayna alnnasi feema ikhtalafoo feehi wama ikhtalafa feehi illa allatheena ootoohu min baAAdi ma jaathumu albayyinatu baghyan baynahum fahada Allahu allatheena amanoo lima ikhtalafoo feehi mina alhaqqi biithnihi waAllahu yahdee man yashao ila siratin mustaqeemin” (Mankind were one community and Allah sent Prophets with glad tidings and warnings, and with them He sent the Scripture in truth to judge between people in matters wherein they differed. And only those to whom (the Scripture) was given differed concerning it after clear proofs had come unto them through hatred, one to another. Then Allah by His Leave guided those who believed to the truth of that wherein they differed. And Allah guides whom He wills to a Straight Path)
- Soorah an-Nisa’a, 4:165; Masculine (plural): “Rusulan mubashshirina wamunthireena lialla yakoona lilnnasi AAala Allahi hujjatun baAAda alrrusuli wakana Allahu AAazeezan hakeeman” (Messengers as bearers of good news as well as of warning in order that mankind should have no plea against Allah after the Messengers. And Allah is Ever AllPowerful, AllWise)
- Soorah Al-An’am, 6:48; Masculine (plural): “Wama nursilu almursaleena illa mubashshirina wamunthireena faman amana waaslaha fala khawfun AAalayhim wala hum yahzanoona” (And We send not the Messengers but as givers of glad tidings and as warners. So, whosoever believes and does righteous good deeds, upon such shall come no fear, nor shall they grieve)
- Soorah Al-‘Isra’, 17:105; Masculine (plural): “Wa Bil-Haqqi ‘Anzalnahu Wa Bil-Haqqi Nazala Wa Ma ‘Arsalnaka ‘Illa Mubashshiraan Wa Nadhiraan” (And with the truth We have sent the Qur’an down, and with the truth it has descended. And We have not sent you, [O Muhammad], except as a bringer of good tidings and a warner)
- Soorah Al-Kahf, 18:56; Masculine (plural): “Wama nursilu almursaleena illa mubashshirina wamunthireena wayujadilu allatheena kafaroo bialbatili liyudhidoo bihi alhaqqa waittakhathoo ayatee wama onthiroo huzuwan” (And We send not the Messengers except as giver of glad tidings and warners. But those who disbelieve, dispute with false argument, in order to refute the truth thereby. And they treat My Ayat, and that with which they are warned, as jest and mockery)
- Soorah Al-Furqan, 25:56; Masculine (singular): “Wama arsalnaka illa mubashshiran wanatheeran” (And We have sent you (O Muhammad) only as a bearer of glad tidings and a warner)
- Soorah ar-Rum, 30:46; Feminine (plural): “Wa Min ‘Ayatihi ‘An Yursila Ar-RiyaHa Mubashshiratin Wa Liyudhiqakum Min RaHmatihi Wa Litajriya Al-Fulku Bi’amrihi Wa Litabtaghu Min Fadlihi Wa La`allakum Tashkuruna” (And of His signs is that He sends the winds as bringers of good tidings and to let you taste His mercy and so the ships may sail at His command and so you may seek of His bounty, and perhaps you will be grateful)
- Soorah Al-Ahzab, 33:45; Masculine (singular): “Ya ayyuha alnnabiyyu inna arsalnaka shahidan wamubashshiran wanatheeran” (O Prophet (Muhammad)! Verily, We have sent you as witness, and a bearer of glad tidings, and a warner)
- Soorah Al-Fath, 48:8; Masculine (singular): “Inna arsalnaka shahidan wamubashshiran wanatheeran” (Verily, We have sent you (O Muhammad) as a witness, as a bearer of glad tidings, and as a warner)
- Soorah As-Saf, 61,6; Masculine (singular): “Waith qala AAeesa ibnu maryama ya banee israeela innee rasoolu Allahi ilaykum musaddiqan lima bayna yadayya mina alttawrati wamubashshiran birasoolin yatee min baAAdee ismuhu ahmadu falamma jaahum bialbayyinati qaloo hatha sihrun mubeenun” (And (remember) when Jesus, son of Mary, said: “O Children of Israel! I am the Messenger of Allah unto you confirming the Torah before me, and giving glad tidings of a Messenger to come after me, whose name shall be Ahmed. But when he came to them with clear proofs, they said: “This is plain magic.”)
Allahu A’lam (Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) knows best) and all Perfections belong to Allah, and all mistakes belong to me alone. May Allah (سبحانه و تعالى) forgive me, Ameen.